The role of the Teacher and the Teaching in the Community
(composed from the book “Agni Yoga. Community”)
AUM TAT SAT. AUM
We are dissipating superstition, ignorance and fear. We are forging courage, will and knowledge.
Every striving toward enlightenment is welcome. Every prejudice, caused by ignorance, is exposed.
Thou who dost toil, are not alive in thy consciousness the roots of cooperation and community?
If this flame has already illumined thy brain, adopt the signs of the Teaching of Our mountains.
Thou who dost labor, do not become wearied puzzling over certain expressions.
Every line is the highest measure of simplicity.
Greeting to workers and seekers!
AUM TAT SAT. AUM
1. Much can be forgiven him who even in darkness has preserved the concept of the Teacher. The Teacher uplifts the dignity of the spirit. We liken the concept of the Teacher to a lamp in the darkness. Therefore, the Teacher may be called a beacon of responsibility. The bonds of the Teaching are like a saving rope in the mountains. The Teacher is revealed from the moment of kindling of the spirit. From that moment on the Teacher is inseparable from the disciples. (60)
2. We do not see the end of the chain of Teachers, and the consciousness imbued with the Teacher elevates the attainment of the disciple as a precious, all-penetrating aroma. The bond of the disciple with the Teacher forms a link of protection in the uniting chain. Within this defense deserts bloom. (60)
3. Our condition for the coworkers is a complete desire to apply in life Our fundamentals, not in theory but in practice. The Teacher bears the flame of an unquenchable achievement. The Teaching is interrupted neither by weariness nor by distress. The heart of the Teacher lives by achievement. He has no fear, and the words “I am afraid" are not in His vocabulary. (65)
4. In each book there must be a chapter about irritation. It is imperative to expel this beast from the house. I welcome austerity as well as decisiveness. I enjoin you to abolish jeering jests. Each one should be helped to get out of entanglements. One should nip each bud of vulgarity. Each one must be permitted to have his say, and patience must be found to listen. The empty rumor must be cut short, and ten words must be found against each word defaming the Teacher. Indeed, remain not silent at an arrow directed at the Teacher. Mother and Teacher—these two concepts must be safeguarded in each book. The light of greatness is not to be extinguished. (78)
5. Let each community await its Teacher, for a community and a Teacher constitute the ends of one and the same column. Even in daily trifles it is necessary to remember the foundation of the house. Again we arrive at the necessity of altering the quality of the consciousness; then the transition is easy. (91)
6. It is impossible for a poisoned consciousness to distinguish the moments of freedom and of bondage. The man who is lost in conjecture as to where is slavery and where is freedom, is unable to think about the community. The man who opposes the consciousness of his brother cannot think about the community. The man who distorts the Teaching cannot think about the community. The basis of the community lies in freedom of thinking and in reverence for the Teacher. (98)
7. To accept the Teacher means to fall in line with the workers fighting the fire. If everyone rushes to the fire from the wellspring without any order, the wellspring will be trampled without benefit.
It is better to understand carefulness within one's consciousness; this will safeguard the concept of the Teacher. Definitely the Teacher, definitely knowledge, definitely evolution of the world—these will serve as paths to the far-off worlds! (98)
8. How is it possible to feel oneself protected to the utmost? Only by establishing the closest bond with the Teacher. Only in active cooperation and in reverence is concealed the best possibility of passing through the dangerous spheres. The bond with the Teacher is a living penetration into the future. (187)
9. Reverence to the Teacher and the constructiveness of striving to the far-off worlds are as a rainbow unified by the essence of light.
Learn to understand how lofty is the concept of the Teacher. Draw this line from horizon to horizon, from arrival to departure. Know how the Teaching of Light has been revealed to you, and remember the silvery thread of the bond. The bond with the Teacher is light as the eagle's wing, and the eagle's eye looks ahead. What else could you prefer, if your consciousness has been opened? The building of the community can help in gathering thoughts. Of course, not caravan donkeys but eagles have been indicated in the comparison.
The hand of the Teacher summons to the threshold of the community. And from the mountain We see where the wheel of necessity is flying. (187)
10. An alien teaching insists upon manifestation of subservience, but the community is so saturated with possibilities that the Sole Hierarchy will be the step of knowledge. No one designates the Hierarch, but those who listen and realize thus recognize this step. The Teacher will be the natural leader.
In Asia the Teacher is manifested as a lawful concept. By the covenant of Buddha each future Teacher is especially reverenced. In this revelation of possibility is the whole pledge of the future.
Saturation of the atmosphere will raise up the coming solution of the world. (215)
AUM TAT SAT. AUM
 The number of the paragraph, taken from the book “Agni Yoga. Community”, has been indicated in circle brackets after each paragraph.